Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Healthy Recipes: Blueberry Muffins


After the meal impressions: OH MY GOD, MAKE THESE AND EAT THEM NOW. This is THE best thing I have ever made based on a healthy recipe, ever. Holy shit. And they're 2 points. I checked and double checked, and yup, 2 points. The fresh blueberries are amazing, they're fluffy and moist, and just overall so, so delicious. They are seriously heavenly.

------------------------------------------------------------
------

I am SO ticked off because I started making these kind of as an afterthought, assumed they would come out tasting like shit, and didn't take any in-the-making photos. Grrrr. So all you get is the end product this time. =(

Although these are so freaking delicious that I'm sure I'll make them again - so I can take pictures later on and add them in.

EDIT: PICS NOW ADDED! =D

Note: this recipe makes 10 muffins, but if you have a large muffin tin, I don't think you'll be able to make ten happen. I used a small muffin/cupcake tray, rather than the really large muffin trays. So if you have a muffin tin that makes what looks like those huge bakery muffins, you might want to try making 8 of them rather than 10 and count them as 3 points each.

INGREDIENTS:
white flour (1 1/4 cup)
baking powder (1 tsp)
salt (1/4 tsp)
cinnamon (1/4 tsp)

1 egg (beaten)
unsweetened applesauce (2 tbsps)
butter (2 tsps, at room temperature)
brown sugar (packed, 3/8 cup) (3/8 cup = 6 tbsps, btw)
half a banana (peeled and mashed)
vanilla extract (1/2 tsp)
blueberries (1 cup)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, sift the first four ingredients together.


Beat the egg, mash up the banana, and mix them together in a separate bowl with the brown sugar, vanilla extract, butter, and applesauce.


Pour the banana/egg/sugar/etc mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well. It'll turn pretty thick at this point, but don't worry about it.

Fold in your blueberries.

Coat a muffin tray with non-stick spray and pour the mixture into ten muffin cups. You should preferably use a muffin tray that makes small muffins rather than the really huge ones. The mixture should be about halfway to 3/4 of the way to the top of the cup. Don't worry about it being perfectly in the cups - the mixture will be pretty thick, and lumpy too, because of the blueberries, so just get it in there as best you can =)

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, take them out and let them cool for ten minutes.


Nutritional info for the entire recipe:

1 egg: 70 cals, 4.5g fat, 0g fiber
flour: 500 cals, 0g fat, 5g fiber
applesauce: 20 cals, 0g fat, 0g fiber
brown sugar: 311 cals, 0g fat, 0g fiber
butter: 50 cals, 5g fat, 0g fiber
banana: 50 cals, 0g fat, 1.5g fiber
blueberries: 85 cals, 0g fat, 3.5g fiber

Total: 1085 cals, 14.5g fat, 10g fiber

For one muffin:

109 cals
1.5g fat
1g fiber
2 points!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I just told Dan: "We need a muffin tin, asap."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to be making these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 points? yum-O! love me some blueberry muffins!

    congrats on your blog award!

    are those muffins resting on Fiestaware?

    ReplyDelete