Saturday, August 22, 2009

Healthy Recipes: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies


I made this recipe by piecing together a bunch of different no-flour online recipes for peanut butter cookies.

After the meal impressions: Listen, do I want all of my recipes to turn out super awesome and for you guys to all love them? Yes. But that's not always going to happen. My overall impression of these? Meh, bleh, blah. They came out to be 5 points each, which I wasn't expecting. On the recipe builder point tracker, they say that a cup of reduced fat peanut butter is 18 points. When I enter in the nutritional info for MY cup of reduced fat peanut butter, I come up with 39 points......Uh.....Very. Different.

What I thought was a 3 point cookie turned out to be a 5 point cookie. And so, is it worth 5 points? No. They're really dry, and even the chocolate doesn't compliment it very
well. I know, crazy, right? Blasphemy, you say! Choc and PB ALWAYS go well together. But really, it just doesn't sit right. Maybe it was because they were the semi sweet ones? I think that the reduced fat peanut butter is too dry in general, too. So, how would I change it? Well.... I have no idea. This is where the baker-noob in me comes out. I dunno, add some milk? Applesauce? Water? I mean, changing it to regular peanut butter would probably be a start.... other than that, I have no clue. Perhaps you guys have some ideas! Edumacate me on the basics of baking!

-----------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:
reduced fat all natural peanut butter (1 cup, creamy or chunky)
white sugar (3/4 cup)
1 egg (beaten)
dark chocolate chips (1/8 cup to put on top)
dash of vanilla extract
2 tbsp sugar (to roll cookies in right before baking)

The HOW-TO:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the egg, and then stir peanut butter, egg, vanilla extract and sugar together.


Lightly grease a cookie sheet (or use baking spray).

Make 12 peanut butter balls.

Put your 2 tbsps of sugar into a small bowl and roll the balls in it, coating them with sugar. You'll probably only use 1 tbsp, in actuality.

Then put them on the greased cookie sheet - leave a bit of space between each one because they'll spread out a little bit as they bake.


Take a fork and make a cross hatch pattern, pushing them down into a cookie shape.

You can then add some chocolate chips on top. I used about 4 for each cookie.

To be totally honest, I meant to take a quarter cup of chocolate chips and mix them INTO the cookie mixture, but I completely forgot. I only remembered after they were in sugar-coated balls on the trays. D'oh!

Into the oven they go, for 10 minutes! 15 minutes! I tried 10 minutes, because that's what everyone recommends for peanut butter cookie bake times online, but uh, yeah, they soooo weren't ready. They were almost crumbly. I think it's because of the reduced fat peanut butter. I left mine in for about a full 20 minutes >.<

Nutrition Info:

For the entire thing:
1 cup peanut butter: 1600 cals, 96g fat, 16g fiber
1/8 cup chocolate chips: 140 cals, 8g fat, 0g fiber
1 egg: 70 cals, 4.5g fat, 0g fiber
3/4 cup sugar: 580 cals, 0g fat, 0g fiber
1 tbsp sugar: 35 cals, 0g fat, 0g fiber

Total: 2425 cals, 104g fat, 16g fiber
.... o.O

Don't eat em all in one sitting. >.>

Per cookie:
205 cals
8.5g fat
1g fiber
5 points!

Enjoy....if you can =P

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry i make lots of things that don't turn out. Thanks for the honesty!!

    ReplyDelete