Wednesday, September 2, 2009

BREAD!!!


HOLY CRAP, BREAD. See that photo of glorious breadiness? I MADE that. I did! *cheer*

Ingredients:

warm water (1 cup)
sugar (2 tbsp)
active dry yeast (3/4 tbsp)

vegetable oil (2 tbsps)
salt (1 tsp)
bread flour (3 cups)

Warm up a large bowl with some hot water; pour the hot water out and then put in your measured cup of warm water. It shouldn't be scalding hot, but it definitely should be quite warm. (I had to pour out my initial yeast mixture because the water wasn't warm enough and didn't activate the yeast very well). Put the yeast and the sugar in the bowl with the warm water, stir a little bit. Then just let it sit.

After about 5-10 minutes, the yeast should be bubbling a bit.

In a separate bowl, mix your flour and salt together. Slowly add this dry mixture into the wet mixture bowl. This is where you get your hands all gooey. It's awesome. You'll love it.

Now you get to knead the dough! I kneaded it right there in the bowl. I didn't really know how to knead it, to be honest. Do I use my thumbs? My knuckles? It was like trying to give a massage to a very particular, yet mute client. I practically started talking to the dough, "Do you like it like that? I can dig in a little more if you want. Or maybe a little lighter? .....any feedback would be nice, here. Hello? Hellooooo -" I did this for about 10 minutes and nary a peep.

Note: I'm not actually insane. *cough*

I kneaded it as best as I could, and eventually THIS formed (which I put in a bowl and covered with saran wrap):

I let that sit for about an hour, and sure enough, it rose! Check it out:

It's at least double in size, which is what they recommend.

Then I got to punch the dough. It was awesome. "Think you can get away without talking to me during that massage? *BAM* Not so fast! *WHACK* What now! *PUNCH* Talk! *WHAM*"

It all deflated fairly quickly, actually, and, in fact, did not start to talk. I decided that that was pretty okay, seeing as how it's a doughy loaf of bread. I kneaded it for about 3 more minutes. Then! I formed it into semi-rectangular shape, and put it in a greased (with cooking spray) 9x5" loaf pan.

I then covered it with saran wrap again and let it rise a second time, for about 45 minutes.


Er, wait.

There we go.

INTO THE OVEN IT GOES (350 degrees!)

And then, after 30 minutes....

BEHOLD:

Doesn't it LOOK edible? It certainly looks edible.

Guess what:

It IS edible!!!!

It's pretty bland, to be honest, but it definitely tastes like bread! Holy crap! I'm going to make a sammich with it tomorrow!!!

Nutrition Info for the whole loaf:

Flour: 1320 cals, 7g fat, 10.5g fiber
Oil: 240 cals, 28g fat, 0g fiber
Yeast: 35 cals, 0g fat, 2.5g fiber
Sugar: 45 cals, 0g fat, 0g fiber

Total: 1640 cals, 35g fat, 13g fiber

For a slice (1/16th):
103 cals
2g fat

1g fiber

2 points!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice job...looks SOOOO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful. Bet it smelled great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I'm talking about! How about the heavenly aroma as it baked!

    ReplyDelete