Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baking? Whoa...

.
I posted this on the WW forums, but I figure I'd put it up here too...

I really want to learn how to BAKE!

I'd love to be able to make a cake from scratch, learn how to make my own frosting, and learn how to decorate it... I've toyed with the idea of taking a class or something for the longest time.

The problem is, I've been putting it off - because I'm not sure how to be on weight watchers AND bake desserts at the same time.

There are a few options that I see -

1. I could make healthier recipes, which is a great idea, actually. But I don't want to turn into Hungry Girl, with all of her faux sugar and fat free fake this and that, you know? I want to make the real thing, not the saccharine-ladened, preservative fake junk.

2. I could just eat very small portions of what I make, or, not have any at all, and give it to a friend (or hey, I'm sure my boyfriend will eat whatever I make =P). The problem with this is that I KNOW I'm going to be taking a lick of batter here, a taste of frosting there. How can you not? I just don't trust myself, I guess - it's kind of like a recovering alcoholic going out to a bar and ordering a drink, but telling herself that she won't drink it. Torture!


Anyway, I know there are a few bakers here, and I just wanted to ask how you guys work your baked goods (or other sweets) into the WW plan. Should I just give up this pipe dream? Any thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I've just been watching too many 'Ace of Cakes' episodes on the food network. But seriously, how cool would it be to make your own cake? Screw Betty Crocker! Gimme some flour and sugah!

Too bad broccoli isn't a decoratable dessert *sigh*

On a different note, I haven't made a new recipe in a while, so I'm thinking of making those stuffed shells and posting that later tonight. NOM!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I totally say "go for it"! I think you have a couple of options. 1) Find lower (probably still not "low") fat recipes. 2) Eat small portions. Obviously this goes without saying but - keep on counting.

    When I finally (finally!) got back on track with WW after two years of flip-flopping, one of the sentiments going through my head at the time, which was very simple yet took a long time to come to terms with: I do not need to eat a serving of every amazing food out there. I *can* be satisfied with having a bite of Dan's calzone, a sip of his beer, a taste of that amazing Indian curry he just ordered. So that's what I do. When we're out, you'll see me have a taste of this or that. That's what I now view as my allowance. I'm going to eat healthy, but I'm still going to enjoy the flavor of this bite or that bite. I'll count those too, of course, but I'll tell ya - those one or two points for a bite are much more satisfying than the 25 points I'd spend (and feel sick and guilty about) if I were to order my own.

    Lastly, back to the cakes and baking, I've read of little tips, such as substituting a portion of the oil with applesauce, that can help make healthier recipes and also more moist cakes.

    p.s. Post the recipes you end up making - would love to hear what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One option I really like is you can get these cake tin mould things that mean the cake kinda has a big dip/hole in teh middle, whick you then fill with fresh fruit/yoghurt/whatever
    less cake fro your slice but still BIG NOMS!
    or just try small adaptations-
    -caked need eggs to bind them but egg whites bind just as well- for no points.
    -try using something like honey instead of sugar- its 3 times as sweet, so you need a third of the amount:therefore less points.
    There are always ways and means where cake is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you work in an office environment like I do, but I would make my attempts coincide with an office event or birthday and bring it in to work. That way I can't eat it at home and will be less likely to overeat if I'm sharing.

    ReplyDelete